Friday 22 May 2015

Progress Update

I have started, with the help of my mom, the monstrous task of planting the 250 seedlings on our property. My mom has been an unexpented mentor, providing knowledge and experience as we plant together. Currently 80 are in the ground. It is hard to find time to plant them, because of sports, school and work. Also, the trees can only be planted on certain days, when the ground is not to wet or dry. The 170 remaining seedlings don't have much longer before they have to be planted, which means I will have plenty of late nights ahead of me.

In total so far, I have (trans)planted 206 trees. If the trees were to remain where they were originally, they wouldn't grow successfully, or be killed by lawnmowers or other causes. The willow cuttings however, didn't survive. My mom says that the bucket in which they were soaking was in a too hot location for the roots to grow. It is a major blow to my project, losing 30-40 trees, but I hope to make up for it with other trees.









No comments:

Post a Comment